Introduction of a five-member jury
MTVA and MTV jointly called for songs to represent Hungary at the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest, Europe’s biggest music competition. The main goal of the national finals is to promote high-quality new Hungarian songs. The success of the live-show „A Dal” proved that Hungarian composers and performers, especially those who are not well-known yet, need a platform which helps them to promote themselves both nationally and internationally. This year’s Hungarian national final with the victory of Hungary’s finest electro-pop band Compact Disco reached outstanding viewing figures (2,5 million viewers).
Hungarian public media service wishes to create a tradition with its new format „ A Dal”, therefore the Hungarian entry to the 58th Eurovision Song Contest in Malmö / Sweden will be selected in a series of live-shows again. A four-member jury comprising of this year’s members Philip Rákay (Programme Director of Hungarian Television), Jenő Csiszár (“Class FM” commercial radio, Programme Director and presenter), Csaba Walkó (singer of Compact Disco) and Viktor Rakonczai (composer of several successful Hungarian ESC-entries, e.g. Kati Wolf’s „What About My Dreams?”) will be amended by a fifth female surprise member, to be revealed later on.
CALL FOR SONGS
Eurovision Song Contest 2013
MTVA, the Media Service Support and Asset Management Fund and MTV, Hungarian Television will take part in the 2013 Eurovision Song Contest. Both semi-finals and the grand final will be broadcast live from Malmö on channel m1.
MTVA and MTV will select Hungary’s representative at the 58th Eurovision Song Contest in a public live show broadcast on channel m1, involving a professional jury and audience televotes. The applications have to be sent in to MTV / MTVA until 20 December 2012.
Rules for application:
The contestants representing Hungary at the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 represent MTVA and MTV. According to the rules of the EBU it is the participating broadcaster’s sole responsibility and competence to select its representing song and performer for the international competition. In order to determine the songs that will compete in the national semi-finals, a pre-jury will make a pre-selection of the songs sent in before the given deadline and which comply with all the rules and conditions set below. The national finalists will be determined by combined votes of the jury and audience televotes. The winner of the national final will represent Hungary at the ESC 2013 in Malmö.
Besides the usual EBU Rules (1 Sept / 3 minutes / max. 6 persons / age / live vocals / no politic gestures / licence agreement etc.), the following additional rules apply:
– The applicants acknowledge that the Hungarian National Final (A Dal) is a competition of composers and not of performers. Therefore MTV and MTVA have the right to change the performer of a song, if necessary.
– The participating broadcasters at the Eurovision Song Contest can decide themselves about the language of the performed song. In the live-shows of the Hungarian National Finals all songs have to be performed in Hungarian language only. The contestants may enter English versions of their songs as well but in the televised national finals (A Dal) only the Hungarian version will be accepted, however, MTVA reserves the right to use the English version for radio and online promotion purposes.
– The performers and composers declare that no other contract or agreement prohibits them to cooperate and contract with MTVA and MTV.
– The Hungarian ESC representative and their team undertake to dedicate exclusive attention to the participation in the contest in the time period between the national final and the grand final of the Eurovision Song Contest and will do their best to cooperate with MTVA and MTV in order to reach the highest possible result, including the compliance with all the deadlines set by MTVA and the EBU and the compulsory participation in promotional events related to the Eurovision Song Contest. The performer(s) may not demand or accept a fee for promotional appearances organized by MTVA and MTV. The performer(s) undertake to stay in Malmö during the time period determined by MTVA in May 2013.
The application must include:
– the audio material in approriate quality on CD or DVD
– high-resolution press photos of the performer(s) and their biography in Hungarian and English on CD or DVD
– the lyrics of the song
– the videoclip of the song, if available
– a written declaration that the applicant accepts the rules and complies with them (especially with regard to the release date of the song, i.e. before 1 September 2012).
The above listed materials should be sent by registered post in a sealed envelope to the following address:
1037 Budapest, Kunigunda útja 64.
Deadline: Thursday, 20 December 2012, Midnight 00:00.
Budapest, 24 October 2012